How to Jumpstart Your College Experience


Military Veterans: How to Jumpstart Your College Experience


You were lucky that you completed your college and qualified to join the military owing to your eligibility of having a college certificate or degree. Having served in the military for a couple of years you are now meditating on rekindling your college experience. Many long-serving military officers have done that before. You could still be serving in the military force as a high-rank officer and you have more time available to jumpstart your college experience, or your military service could have been terminated for whatever reason. In fact, there is a significant number of individuals who have embarked on going to college after the long year of military service. Whichever category you are in, here is fast-track guide on how you can jumpstart your college experience.


Apply for the Post-9/11 GI Bill


This is a Veterans Affairs education benefit that can help you as you embark on your education and training. With this benefit, eligible military service members and veterans have the costs of education or training gathered for. As a military veteran who wants to jumpstart your college experience by furthering your studies, you need to consider applying for this funding benefit. However, before applying, you need to research which programs are covered in this benefit. Some courses could be offered online by renowned universities, for instance, the Independence University. It is a good idea to make an effort to see the reviews of Independence University complaints to evade programs that may demand you to fund your tuition from your savings. For programs approved under the GI Bill cover, the beneficiary is granted up to three years benefiting from the program. The eligibility criteria for this benefit is wide and inclusive. For instance, if you were discharged from the military due to disability after 30 days or if you are a veteran discharged honorably, you are eligible for this benefit. Similarly, you can apply for this benefit program both when still in the military service and when your service has been terminated.


Apply for Military Funding for College


Being a veteran comes along with a multitude of aid for college for those who intend to go back to school. From scholarships, loans, and grants designed specifically for veterans. Whether you are in active service or you have terminated your service as a military officer, you are eligible for this magnificent education benefit. For example, your tuition assistance of up to $ 4,500 per year could be subsidized from your college fee when you are in service courtesy of Tuition Assistance program. Do not be hindered by any financial constraints from jumpstarting your college experience.


Seek Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES)


With many years of serving in the military, most military officers get training in some areas of specialty. It would be a lot better to link your qualification in the specialty area to your college qualification. This is where DANTES comes in handy for you to assist you to link your specialty qualification to your college credit. With its Subject Standard Test (DSST), any military personnel is guaranteed free test which eventually earns them a college credit thus giving them a chance to experience the kind of college life when sitting for the test. This also ensures that your time in school is reduce significantly. This is to your advantage since changing from being a military officer to a college student can be difficult so, you need minimal time just to rekindle your college experience.


In conclusion, you don’t need to be tortured by the nostalgia of college experience during and after your military service. You have a chance to rekindle it. Following the above-highlighted guide, you can be certain not to face any challenge jumpstarting your college experience as a military veteran. You cannot be an ordinary veteran to transit from being a military officer to a civilian. You can obtain a college degree or more after your military service.


By: Lizzie Weakley